I wanted the building color to look like adobe, whitened where the sun was brightest on its surface. When making a new color by mixing glass from various jars, it is highly advisable to run a test so you don’t have an unhappy surprise after investing glass, time, and electricity, but I was just too excited about being back in the studio and making glass. Plus, I don’t have much time before the show to make all the pieces I have designed.
I got lucky and was delighted when I opened the kiln this noon after waiting anxiously for it to drift down to 100F. The shadows from scraggly branches look mysterious, the chimney cap is visible above the top of the wall, and the texture was even better than I had hoped. My husband isn’t crazy about it. He says it is too monochrome for his tastes and the black dominates. Those are two of the reasons I like it and have another version of it in the kiln right now. This one has straight cuts for the top and bottom instead of raw edges, and the color will surely be somewhat different, since I mixed up a new batch of powder for it.